Friday 11 March 2016

Weekly Report and Reflection Post #9

Hello Friends!

This week was an interesting week as we were introduced to Polldaddy and VoiceThread which in their own right are both very beneficial tools. Our task this week was to take a few polls on Polldaddy and comment on the results as well as comment on a slideshow on VoiceThread that was about digital rights and responsibilities. Both tasks introduced me to these tools and showed me how useful they can be in my educational activities.  


Polldaddy consists a myriad of different polls that ask questions and then gather results through polling. Once an individual answers the poll they are able to see the results and comments as well as comment themselves. This would be beneficial in my educational activities as I am in a research class where we have to conduct similar tests on participants to gain information. I will be able to utilize this tool and not only gain quantitative data from the the polls results but I can gain qualitative data as well from the comments where individuals give reason to why they answered how they answered. VoiceThread is similar in this aspect but goes more in depth and assist in group projects. In VoiceThread individuals can start a slideshow and then collaborate online to create a project on any topic. It allows individuals to connect from different devices and work on it simultaneously which is very useful. The uniqueness to VoiceThread is that not only can you comment with words, individuals can comment with video and voice clips or even have it connect to their phone and leave a comment! This gives a way better personalized experience over other tools. It is of great use and VoiceThread will be something I suggest to my group members for future projects.

To finish up this week, I wanted to quickly point out how great I have found Feedly to be before I share another article. Feedly has become a daily part of my routine and I can not get enough of it. It produces the most interesting articles I have seen that are not only relevant to my classes in school but ones that are very appealing to many of my other interests!


This week, the article I would like to share is titled Incarcerated people voted in primaries in Vermont, Puerto Rice, and Maine. Why can't they vote anywhere else? and this topic is a predominant discussion in one of my sociology classes. This article discusses how prisoners in certain states can vote while others can not. The argument arises of what rights should be given to prisoners who are serving time in prison. I feel that context is important as certain individuals have committed such heinous criminal acts that I feel it could be argued they can not vote but individuals who commit crimes that harm no one should still have the right to vote. How do you feel about the situation? Have a great weekend!

Cheers

Jason Wilson

No comments:

Post a Comment