Saturday 6 February 2016

Weekly Report & Reflection Post #5

Hey Everyone

Another week and another blog! This week I have joined the social media phenomenon Twitter and created my own account for which I will expand my PLN (Personal Learning Network). We are joining Twitter in order to connect with individuals and classmates to grow our PLN and to discover and utilize its educational benefits.


In the previous weeks we have been adding and learning about useful tools on the internet to assist in our learning and in growing our PLEs (Personal Learning Enviroment) and PLNs. One tool I have mentioned and we were introduced to in a previous week is the tool Feedly. When I first added it I found interesting articles but did not think more of it then that, As I checked it more frequently I discovered it was producing articles that were connected directly to the topics I was writing about for my classes. As I utilized it further I found scholarly articles for each of my classes that I have been able to quote and paraphrase in order to support my work. With the teachers requiring scholarly articles, it is fantastic to know I can look to Feedly as an academic resource that is beneficial and trustworthy. I am continuing to expand the topics that will be showing up on my feed as I know that within time they might be a good read or something extremely useful I can use in my educational career.

Now back to this week; After I joined Twitter I did a little searching and viewed some of my peers, favourite personalities, and educational individuals and discovered just how Twitter works and how useful it can be educationally. With the search engine, you can look for people or hashtags of subjects and phrases and they will be brought to your screen. You can see how people talk and think about certain topics which gives a variety of perspectives and opinions which is fantastic, view posts and links people have shared to get more information (some scholarly as well), and see what is trending and interesting which could be something you need to be informed about! This week as I just started out, I have started following a few individuals and some of my peers from ADED 1P32. Thus far, I have seen interesting articles and viewed opinions and perspectives (some I agree with, others I just did not understand) presented by these people and now I am excited to add it Twitter my PLE and expand my PLN! For the remaining people who do not have Twitter, I recommend you join as soon as you can.


Continuing the trend and finishing up this week, I wanted to share an interesting article I found on my Feedly! It is titled "The Reason You Should Never Use The Term 'The Mentally Ill' and I found it on PSYBLOG. The article discusses terminology and the detriment to the label of 'the mentally ill', it gives great evidence and is an interesting read. That is it for me, have a great weekend friends!

Cheers

Jason Wilson

2 comments:

  1. Great blog Jason! I found that article you posted very interesting and made me have a different perspective on the word "mentally ill". I am definitely not going to say it like that and I am going to change it. I recommend this to other users too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jason,

    Great post! After reading through the entirety of your blog post, I particularly found the article you provided to be very useful and informative towards the notion of mental illness. Personally, I think more people need to give this certain article a read and become more socially aware with such a touchy subject!

    Cheers,

    Cole Pettem

    ReplyDelete